Thursday, July 11, 2013

Picture Book Thursday: SQUIRRELS ON SKIS

SQUIRRELS ON SKIS by J. Hamilton Ray, illustrated by Pascal Lemaitre: SQUIRRELS ON SKIS is a new book in the Cat-in-the-Hat-endorsed Beginner Books series and joins the company of Dr. Seuss works. I read this aloud to my six-year-old daughter and we loved it. The rhymes are gentle and effortless for the most part, the illustrations hilarious, and the story both funny and relevant. In a town overrun by squirrels on skis, the mayor calls for extermination. Luckily for the squirrels, reporter Sally Sue Breeze looks deeper, uncovering the cause behind the pandemonium. It offers one of the funniest indictments of corporate greed I've ever read. My daughter and I loved this book. She was cracking up and I was waxing nostalgic for the clever rhymes and humor of the books of my childhood. Highly recommend.

Source disclosure: I received an e-galley of this book courtesy of the publisher.

No comments: