Thursday, January 15, 2009

Picture Book Thursday

We're back! We took a few weeks off and decided maybe we would run this feature maybe every other week or so. :-) We're going to review "just for fun" books today.

My three-year old really loves Laura Numeroff's If You Give A.... Series. For Christmas she received If You Give a Cat a Cupcake paired with a cupcake themed nightgown (how cute!!!). This one has actually become my favorite in the series. Maybe it is just because I'm a cat person. ;-) But the kitty in the book is so animated and cute and I love the scenarios he gets the little girl into. They go to the beach, the gym, a boat, a merry-go-round, the science museum and back home again. I think we've also read Give a Mouse a Cookie and Give a Pig a Pancake. While we really enjoyed those, this one is my favorite just because it gets out of the house and goes to all those different places. My kids really enjoy any of these books and I look forward to future installments in this series.
This next book, Glitter Critters by Dave Carter is just a really cool book. It's a pop-up book with some real animals (snake, parrot, fish) and some imaginary animals like the Liger (a combination of a tiger and a lion), a Glitterfly, and Snaggle Tooth Lou. Each page contains a cute little rhyme and the animal jumps off the page, sometimes 6-8 inches off the page! The pop-ups are fantastic! The bright colors are great and "glitter" is fun. There is not a lot of depth to this book, but it is a real treat to look at.

The last book for me today is a favorite for my girls and for me! Llama Llama Mad at Mama by Anna Dewdney. I keep thinking I reviewed this one already, but I searched the blog and didn't see it. So if I did review it before, you get treated to it again. Tells you how much I recommend it, right? :-) This is the sequel to Llama Llama Red Pajama (which we haven't had the opportunity to read yet). In this book, Llama Llama and his mama go shopping at the shop-o-rama. He is very bored with shopping and decides to have a tantrum in the store. His mother makes him help clean and tells him the shopping will go much faster if he goes shopping with Mama. It is a very sweet book filled with emotions and great rhyming pages. I highly recommend it. And I just discovered there is a new one coming out, March 19, 2009! Llama Llama Misses Mama about Llama Llama's first day of preschool. I can't...er, I mean, we can't wait for it! And this just reminded me to request the first book from the library...off I go!

***************

"Just for fun" usually means "lift the flap" at our house! Lilah loves the oversized lift-the-flap books, so I'll share a couple of her favorites.

I've mentioned Lisa McCue's adorable animal illustrations before. They're really sweet, and the whole family loves them. Fuzzytail Friends Lift-and-Look Animal Book teaches children about mother and baby animals on the farm, counting in the garden, animal habitats (although I'm not sure that "snake hidey-hole" is the technical term...), and nocturnal/diurnal animals. There are lots of flaps to lift, and Lilah loves finding the animals.

No Elmo fan's library is complete without this Elmo's Favorite Places: A Lift and Learn Flap Book. We have several Sesame Street lift-the-flaps, and this is probably the favorite. The colors are bright, it's new enough to have Zoe and Abby, and each page has something new to learn: matching, colors, shapes, and a really cool double-page spread with one flap for every letter of the alphabet. The flaps are sturdier than in our other oversized Sesame Street lift-the-flap books (Lift and Peek Around the Corner, Elmo's Big Lift and Look Book), although we like those, too! A smaller Sesame Street lift-the-flap book is worth mentioning: Where Is Elmo's Blanket, which has a story told using the flaps.

No comments: