Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The World of Bobbie Faye

I just finished Bobbie Faye's Very (very, very, very) Bad Day by Toni McGee Causey. This book was absolutely hysterical! I chuckled out loud several times. A must-read for any Evanovich fans. I actually think this is better than the recent Plum books. Bobbie Faye is Stephanie Plum amped up 50 degrees. There are a few similarities in the characters: Bobbie Faye as a very independent woman compares to Stephanie; Cam, her cop ex-boyfriend would play the part of Morelli; and Bobbie Faye's apparent hostage, Trevor could sort of be Ranger. Other than that, this book is purely original especially in the debacles Bobbie Faye gets herself into...in one day!

This book takes place in Louisiana and is filled with Cajun charm from French to voodoo. The course of the book is mostly one day, which seems unreal. It starts with Bobbie Faye's trailer being flooded and collapsing and her day just gets worse from there. She receives a call from her brother who has been kidnapped and needs her to bring a treasured family heirloom to the kidnappers in order to save his life. Bobbie Faye stops at nothing to reach her brother including robbing a bank, taking a hostage, demolishing a truck, running through a swamp, encountering a bear, and it only goes on from there (that's the first half of the book). There's mystery, adventure, suspense, and romance in this highly sarcastic, fun read.

The chapters are short so this makes for a perfect book for someone who can't sit and read for long periods of time. The beginning of each chapter has a quote from someone in reference to Bobbie Faye. Here are a few examples:

"I'm sorry, Mr. President, but even though you really like the governor of Louisiana, you cannot drop a civilian behind enemy lines. No sir, not even if she could take out the whole country."
-an anonymous senior aide to the president

"Sir, we do not draft civilians into our foreign service, even if you think she's of the devil and would make a good spy. Please do not offer her to us again."
--Elizabeth Smith, CIA undersecretary in a memo to the governor of Louisiana

"No, honey, you can't bring in Bobbie Faye as your show-and-tell exhibit for National Disaster Awareness week. I'd like to make it through this week alive."
-Ms. Pam Arnold, Geautraux Elementary's third grade teacher

I decided to pick this book up and read it because I received the second installment, Bobbie Faye's (kinda, sorta, not-exactly) Family Jewels as an Advanced Reader's Copy (ARC) from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers group. I thought I should read the first one before I reviewed the second. And now I can't wait to read Family Jewels.

4 comments:

allisonmariecat said...

I saw this book in your "currently reading" on the sidebar, and I cracked up *just reading the plot summary!* I'm looking forward to this one. Thanks for the great review!

Holly said...

I think you'll love it!! It would make for a great vacation/beach read.

Joy said...

Your review reminded me that I've only read the first one in this series, but Chrissy McMullen is along the same lines as Bobbie Faye and Stephanie Plum. Here are my thoughts on the first one titled Unzipped (Greiman). I just thought you might be interested. :)

Holly said...

Joy, thank you for the suggestion. I haven't heard of this series before but I will definitely check it out!