Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Friday Night Knitting Club

Anyone who knits or enjoyed the book Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons, this is the book for you! Kate Jacobs has created a well-written book about a group of women who become friends and bond through knitting together. The book takes place in New York City and features different types of female personalities in a wide range of ages. Most of the activity in the book centers around a knitting boutique called Walker and Daugther, started by a single mom who needed a way to make ends meet so she could raise her daughter. Each character in the book represents a different life viewpoint and they all come together.

I feel like this book will appeal to almost any woman reading it. I was not annoyed by any of the characters and enjoyed the book from beginning until end. It didn't quite end the way I may have liked, but it wasn't a bad ending. And like I said before, it sort of gave me a feeling of Angry Housewives in that its a book about female bonding and having a strong group of female friends to lean on. But as much as it may have reminded me of Angry Housewives, it was completely different as well. Also, the overall knitting metaphor is interesting and not at all cheesy. (At least I didn't think so.)

This was our book club pick for May. We have the meeting tonight. I'll add the group's impression of the book tomorrow. :-) Hope you all had a nice long Memorial Day Weekend.

1 comment:

allisonmariecat said...

Ooh, this sounds like good summer reading out on the porch!