Wednesday, May 24, 2006

On My Bookshelf...

On My Bookshelf...

I must be the only person among you all that reads the suspense novels. The last one I read was Up Country by DeMille. It's about a Vietnam veteran returning to Vietnam on a secret mission for his former boss at the Army Criminal Investigation Department. Not only is there suspense, intrigue and slimy bad guys, but there's romance and a lot of information about how the war affected the protagonist and others (both North and South Vietnamese).

I'm now reading In a SunBurned Country. Not sure of the author. It's about a man's travels through Australia. He's written several books - one about his travels in Britain, America, etc... Since I've been to Australia a few times, I can identify with some of his stories.

I'm also reading the third book of the Jewel in the Crown trilogy - The Division of Spoils. I have been reading this trilogy for over a year. Definitely I'm not the historical novel type! Although, the third book is finally making a lot more sense than the first two. The first book was so disjointed and skipped around to all these different characters and stories. The second was a little better. And the third is finally tying a lot of the first two books together.

Not sure what my next book will be. I may have to go to the library and check into some of the books you all recommend.

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

I think In a Sunburned Country is by Bill Bryson. I listened to it on tape a couple of years ago. I'm not sure I want to go to Australia now after some of his descriptions of the deadly spiders and snakes! Still, it was an enjoyable book.

carolz said...

You're right, Kirsten. It is Bill Bryson. And, yes, I'm glad I'm reading his book now rather than when I was in Australia - especially the last time. We went scuba diving on a live-aboard boat for five days at the Great Barrier Reef. Reading about the different types of deadly jelly fish definitely makes me not want to get into the water!